Integrating AddSearch with Google Analytics
If you have ordered our Plus package, AddSearch automatically detects Google Analytics (GA) on your website. We push statistics to GA automatically, without you having to modify any settings in AddSearch.
The only thing you need to do is to enable the statistics in Google Analytics. The steps to do this are as follows:
- Log in to your Google Analytics account at http://www.google.com/analytics
- Click on Admin, located in the upper right hand corner.
- Click on View Settings
- Under Site Search Settings, turn on the button marked Site search Tracking. Input addsearch as the Query parameter, and check the box Strip query parameters out of URL. Then, input addsearch-category as the Category parameter, and check the box Strip query parameters out of URL. Click Save.
See the screenshot for the correct settings:
AddSearch reports three types of analytics information with a different Search category:
- Result clicked: One or multiple of the search results got clicked
- Results viewed: After typing a search query the results are viewed or scrolled through for a few seconds. This might or might not end up with a “Result clicked” event
- No results: Search query returned no results at all. Nothing got clicked
AddSearch is an instant search, and users of the search typically type one or two letters before clicking on a search result. This means that the the top keywords in your GA statistics are typically very short and somewhat hard to decipher. We’re working on a solution for this.
Other Analytics Platforms
We have integrated with the leading open-source analytics platform Piwik among Google Analytics. We support both self-hosted and cloud-hosted Piwik installations. See Piwik.org for more information.