When it comes to software or technology projects, there is a tendency to think that we can do everything by ourselves, whereas the path to least resistance in many cases, is to outsource or purchase a complete solution. During the initial ideation phase, the instinct to do everything by ourselves might look like the easy approach for various reasons, such as flexibility or low costs. However, this rarely ends up being the optimum approach – in fact, it often tends to lead to more problems in the long run.
Think about this – are you able to dedicate 100% of your time to this particular project? Do you have the resources required for ongoing support and maintenance? Can you continue to develop features and software improvements to advance your required functionality as your business or project evolves?
The Cost of DIY Approach
If you answered no to any of these questions, you’re not alone. Many end up being a huge source of frustration and failure (did you know: 68% percent of the IT/software projects fail?) for a variety of reasons. Some of these include:
- Slower time-to-market
- Losing existing customers and prospects
- The budget already allocated to the failed project
- Causing delays in the dependant projects
- Losing the other opportunities where the resources could have been allocated
- Frustrated project sponsors
- Frustrated team members
- Losing the job or the chance of promotion
When it comes to site search which is our area of expertise – it’s not any different. Suppose you are about to decide whether you want to have a hosted solution or go with the DIY approach. The True Cost of Building Your Own Site Search is a piece you want to have a look at.
And for the rest who had decided to go with the DIY approach by using technologies like Solr, Elastic, etc. but had enough of being stuck at the corner of the room and want to jump on the greenfield, let’s continue (others welcome, too!).
Why do you need to switch from DIY?
- You lost your resources that are knowledgeable with the tech-stack you used for the site search
- The limitation with the speed of execution has become unbearable
- The budget is not enough. The costs of maintaining the current solution keep increasing
- There are other priorities that you need to re-allocate your resources
- You want fewer reasons for the headaches, and the site search should not be one of them
But don’t worry, not all is lost.
What to do next?
A Hosted solution like AddSearch saves you from the troubles above. It gives you the AI-powered platform that enables you to have control over your search results, analytics, and end-results without needing developers.
But you have already invested so much in your existing solution, and there might be some features you do not want to give up easily, right? AddSearch’s API allows you to keep your favorite features (if we do not have them already) while you enjoy your new headache-free hosted solution- the best of both worlds! And the migration from your existing platform to AddSearch can be completed in a matter of weeks. Want to discuss all the possibilities further? Contact our team!